It is the primary settlement that the Ottoman Empire established in Rumelia and the longest stone bridge on the earth, and stands out with these options. I’ll go right here for a couple of days initially of March 2020, extra detailed journey feedback are again, right here once more.

TRANSPORTATION:

Uzunköprü, between Istanbul: 250 km. Between Uzunköprü and Tekirdağ: 91 km. Between Uzunköprü and Edirne: 65 km. Uzunköprü, between Kırklareli: 83 km. Uzunköprü between Luleburgaz: 73 km. Between Uzunköprü and Çorlu: 125 km. Between Uzunköprü and Silivri: 173 km. Between Uzunköprü and Gallipoli: 115 km.

HISTORICAL:

In the researches carried out within the “Maslıdere” mound on the Kırkkavak village highway within the south of the district, ceramic and pottery sherds courting to 8000-5500 BC had been discovered. However, there isn’t any detailed info as no official archaeological excavations have been carried out.

In 1400 BC, the Thrac tribes began to settle within the area and stayed for a very long time. King II, who based the Macedonian union in 431 BC. Flip places the Thracian state within the area underneath the management of this union. However, the Roman empire defeated Macedonians and completed their rule on this area. Emperor Kladius (44-46) conquers all Thrace territories and establishes a Roman State underneath the title of "Thrace Province". The most necessary settlement space of ​​the area on this interval is town of Plotinopolis. The metropolis was based by Emperor Trajan (98-117) and by himself on behalf of his spouse Plotina. The ruins of town: It was established between Uzunköprü and Dimetoka on either side of the Meriç river. Some sources even outline town of Plotinopolis as the previous Uzunköprü and recommend that town is positioned between the villages of Eskiköy, Hamitli and Çakmak.

The area, which was final underneath Byzantine rule, got here underneath the rule of Turks fully after the seizure of Edirne by the Ottoman Sultan Murat I on the finish of the Sazlıdere conflict. When the Ottoman Turks had been captured right here, there have been Thracians who lived with the Greek tradition and adopted the Christian faith within the metropolis. According to the situations of this conquest, the individuals could be in Ottoman topics, the Turks would defend them, and they might not intrude with their language and faith. However, there are some who argue that this info is just not legitimate for Uzunköprü. Because, in accordance with many Ottoman historians, there was no settlement known as Uzunköprü when the Thrace raids started. Although Plotinopolis is to be outlined as Uzunköprü within the western sources, there’s a distance of 20 km between the outdated and the brand new metropolis. In different phrases, Uzunköprü was an space that was not solely on town of Plotinopols, but it surely was a spot that contained an empty space, woodland, marshland and bandit as said in the course of the Thracian raids, which is a definition that additionally required the development of Uzunköprü. This marshy space, the place Uzunköprü will later be established, is inside vary of the route connecting the capital Edirney to Anatolia through Gallipoli. When the river Ergene overflows, it doesn’t result in passengers and armies. Therefore, Sultan II. Murat orders {that a} lengthy bridge be constructed on this land in 1427 and a metropolis named Ergene was constructed subsequent to it.

Sultan II. This settlement, established by Murat and named Ergene, good points significance as the primary Turkish metropolis established on the Rumeli aspect within the Ottoman interval.

Sultan II. Murat: On his return to the Varna expedition, he couldn’t cross the Ergene river because of the flood, and requested for a bridge to be constructed right here as a result of the wood bridges are usually not sturdy. The bridge with 360 eyes, began in 1424 and accomplished in three years, was constructed by Sultan II. Murat didn’t discover it enough and destroyed it fully.

On prime of that, the second (right now's) bridge known as Uzunköprü was constructed. (detailed info under)

Due to the lengthy building of the bridge: to satisfy the wants of the workers and troopers charged with defending the area: a mosque, imaret home, caravanserai, madrasa, Turkish tub and two windmills had been constructed. For the upkeep and reconstruction of those locations, households from Turkmen tribes who moved from Edirne's villages after which to Rumelia had been positioned right here and the foundations of the district had been laid.

Köprü: With the title “Cisr-i Ergene”, it began the institution of right now's district and gave its title.

The district, which underwent main repairs within the following years, was subjected to Russian occupation twice within the 19th century.

District territories: Bulgarians after the First Balkan War and Greeks after the First World War. (Between 25 July 1920-18 November 1922)

After the War of Independence, the district was liberated from the enemy invasion on 18 November 1922.

Although the title of the settlement was “Cisr-i Ergene”, the signal of “Uzunköprü” was held on the newly constructed station constructing in 1873 and it was talked about as Uzunköprü within the prepare timetables.

In 1917, the title of the District was modified to “Uzunköprü” by the official authorities.

GENERAL:

Uzunköprü, it’s the county's western border in Turkey. It is within the central a part of the province of Edirne. In phrases of its location, it’s the largest district of the province of Edirne. Altitude of the place the place the bridge is positioned within the district middle: 18 meters. 75 % of the district lands are coated with flatlands. Ergene plain protecting the center of the district lands: When the Ergene river overflows, it leaves loads of miles on the plain. Therefore, lowland soils are very fertile. All sorts of merchandise are grown. In latest years, floods of the Ergene river have been largely prevented by the research carried out by DSI. In the district: There is a harsh local weather between sea and land climates. Economic effectivity of the district: wheat, rice, sunflower, sugar beet rising. In addition, dairy cheese is made. The essential industrial institutions are cheese and paddy factories. However, attributable to paddy fields, flies abound within the district. By the way in which: When it involves Uzunköprü, it’s not possible to not point out the Ergene river. The Ergene river, which receives quite a lot of streams flowing from the western skirts of the Istıranca mountains: crosses the sting of the district and connects to the Meriç river from the Sarıcaali village of the Ipsala district. However, particularly lately, the business growing uncontrollably within the Thrace area and consequently environmental issues have rendered the Ergene river unusable. So a lot so: Ergene river flows in several colours every single day attributable to industrial wastes. The odor of the river is a catastrophe.

WHAT TO EAT:

The finest meatballs “Uzunköprü meatballs” in Thrace are made right here. (My favourite is “Kofteci Niyazi”.) Apart from the meatballs, the native flavors you may eat listed below are: liver closure, Edirne liver, white ragout, cheddar meatball, leek pita, stuffed tomato and floor soup. For dessert: it is best to attempt nectarine cup dessert, rose and zerdali dessert, and walnut with walnut.

WHAT TO BUY.

You can purchase baldo rice and sunflower oil from Uzunköprü.

VOCATIONAL SCHOOL:

It began its schooling in 1994 underneath the Trakya University. The first program is: Accounting and Marketing and began schooling at Uzunköprü Teacher's home. Since 2003-2004, he has been educating within the new service constructing.

PLACES TO VISIT:

ERGENE BRIDGE:

The bridge was included within the UNESCO World Heritage listing of non permanent candidates in 2015. On the river Ergene, in the course of the Ottoman interval, Sultan II. It was constructed by Architect Muslihiddin in 16 years between 1427 and 1443, in the course of the reign of Murat. In 1444, Sultan II. It was opened with an important ceremony attended by Murat.

It is the longest stone bridge on the earth. The place the place the bridge was constructed: It is on the intersection of navy and industrial roads that join the capital of the Ottoman state, Edirne and Gallipoli and Western Rumelia, in different phrases, in an important strategic space.

This magnificent bridge: It carries motifs from the understanding of artwork and aesthetics of the Ottomans, who embody completely different cultures in a large geography from Central Asia to the Balkans. This monumental bridge: due to the engineering data within the number of the fabric used, the position of the toes, the dedication of the arch openings, the calculation of the elevation gradients: it survived for almost 600 years underneath harsh pure situations.

The size of the bridge: 1270.41 meters. The width of the bridge is 5.24 meters. The purpose why the bridge was constructed lengthy was that there have been massive marshes within the space at the moment. There are 174 arches on the bridge. The purpose for making so many arches is that the Ergene river causes floods in wet climate, evacuation holes are added to the eyes in order that the bridge doesn’t collapse. three of those arches are underneath the highway that connects to right now's Uzunköprü district middle. The arches of the bridge are principally within the type of a double-centered, pointed arch. However, there are additionally arches in round and flat round kinds. The wings and arches of the bridge are embellished with lions, elephants, tulips, eagles and numerous geometric aid motifs.

In the development of the bridge: limestone and travertine sort minimize stone blocks had been used. These stone blocks had been introduced from the quarries within the villages of Eskiköy and Yağmurca, and the village of Hasırcıarnavut, in Greece. These had been mixed with the Khorasan mortar in the course of the bridge.

The foundations of the bridge, which sit on the alluvial floor, are constructed on the energy-absorbing wood grid system.

After its building, the bridge that suffered many floods and earthquakes catastrophe: Fatih Sultan Mehmet, Sultan II. Osman, Sultan II. Mahmut and Sultan II. Abdulhamit was repaired in his time. In the Republican period, the bridge was widened from 5.24 meters to six.80 meters with the restoration made between 1964 and 1971 to facilitate the passage of motor automobiles.

CITY MUSEUM:

The museum is open every single day besides Monday, admission is free.

It was opened to guests in 2013 after the previous Tekel constructing was restored and become a museum within the district middle. The constructing the place the museum is positioned was constructed as a personal mansion by Mustafa Çakmaklı, the son of the Uzunköprülü Postacı household, within the early 1900s. He lived right here along with his spouse Sıdaka and his youngsters Enver, Mahmut and Maide till 1930 and moved to the Treasury on April 27, 1939. The utilization individuals of the constructing had been left to the Tekel administration by the finance. After 1939, it began for use as Tekel warehouse and lodging. Mümin Soydaner and his household, who served within the Tekel Administration for a few years and retired from his place in 1992, lived right here. In the 1990s, when the Tekel enterprise was abolished, the constructing remained empty and on the level of demolition, it was restored in 2013 and become a museum. On 16 December 2013, it was opened to guests as City Museum.

The museum has 2 flooring and 6 rooms. The corridors of every ground are additionally used for show functions. On the primary ground of the museum, there are three rooms: historic cash, rifles and swords, typewriters and calculators, turntables and radios, cameras and copper vessels. On the second ground of the museum: there’s a silicone soldier statue that emphasizes the significance of Uzunköprü in Çanakkale wars within the hall, and a espresso nook on the different finish of the hall. In the rooms: Historical gadgets akin to bridal room, front room, stitching machine, mirror, child footwear, ewer, suitcase, coal iron are exhibited. There is one other attention-grabbing place right here, the “Jazz Ice Cream”. The silicone statue of the founding father of the jazz ice cream, Maksut Ice Cream, can also be on the highest ground.

On the partitions of the decrease and higher flooring, info boards and images of Uzunköprü historical past might be seen. A phenomenal museum, fantastically organized, I believe you will need to go and go to.

FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY MONUMENT-HÜRRİYET MONUMENT-HÜRRİYET FOUNTAIN:

It is the primary monument in our nation on this topic. It was troublesome years for the Ottoman state within the early 20th century. In 1889, a few medical college students established a secret revolutionary group amongst themselves. In the next years, this group acquired the title "Union and Progress Society" and unfold quickly amongst military-civilian intellectuals and particularly the officers in Rumelia began to be the locomotive of this revolutionary group. Because the troopers in Rumelia had been in the midst of a extra intense line of fireside than others. I don’t need to lengthen it an excessive amount of. On December 17, 1908 Kanun-i Esasi was accepted and freedom winds began to blow all around the nation. By the way in which: Mazhar Müfit Bey, who was the Governor of Uzunköprü in 1906, determined to construct a monument in Uzunköprü with the joy of the Constitutional Monarchy.

Mazhar Müfit: He resigned in 1919 when he was the governor of Bitlis, participated within the National Fight and was all the time with Mustafa Kemal Atatürk within the National War of Independence. He served as district governor in Cisr-i Ergene (right now Uzunköprü) district of Ottoman administration from August 17, 1904 to August 6, 1910. As quickly as he involves workplace, he began to offer new works and companies to the district with an clever and progressive workers. At that point, Mafhar Müfit Bey constructed the “Democracy Monument” on the entrance of the district, with the assistance and help of the Mayor of Uzunköprü, Hafız İsmail, on the left aspect of the bridge overlooking the district.

The monument is 6 meters excessive. It was constructed on 2 sq. meters of floor. When it was first constructed, two fountains had been positioned on the entrance aspect for individuals and on the left for animals. However, in 1938 these fountains had been eliminated and coated. There are marble pedestals on the 4 sides of the monument, impressed by the French Revolution, with the rules of Union and Proclamation: Freedom, Justice, Equality and Fraternity.

Yes, a observe about this attention-grabbing monument: In 1965, in the course of the enlargement works of Uzunköprü district, this monument was dismantled and moved 1 meter away, and the marble inscriptions eliminated throughout this relocation had been misplaced. On prime of that, four rules had been printed on marble and positioned of their locations within the monument. The monument was lastly fully renovated and restored and opened to the general public on 11 December 2012.

II. MURAT COMPLEX:

It is within the district of Muradiye within the district middle.

Inscription of the mosque: It is on the primary entrance door within the west. The inscription was written by the well-known Ottoman historian Abdurrahman Hibri. In the inscription: Sultan II. It was constructed by Murat and in 1621, Sultan II. It is written that it was repaired by Osman.

Yes, the mosque was inbuilt 1443 with the bridge Sultan II. It was constructed by Murat. It was designed as a posh when it was first constructed. It comprises: imaret and madrasa. Sultan II. At the opening of the muse complicated that he established within the metropolis of Ergene, Murat burned the candles of the mosque along with his personal palms with nice humility and made his personal meals to the friends he invited from Edirne and got here to town of Ergene.

However: right now solely the mosque has survived. Mosque: It is product of rubble stone. It is 22 meters lengthy and 19 meters large. Height: 5.70 meters. It has an oblong plan. When it was first constructed, it’s domed. However, in 1621, Sultan II. The dome was destroyed in the course of the repairs within the Osman interval. Thereupon, it was coated with a roof and lead was coated.

Right in entrance of the mosque: A closing congregation place was constructed with a width of three.80 meters and a size of 22.20 meters. This porch, which was initially carried by 12 wood poles, was raised in the course of the restore, and a wall was constructed.

The minaret of the mosque is product of minimize stone. The physique of the minaret is spherical and has a single balcony.

There is an attention-grabbing fountain within the mosque. When it was first constructed, its water was equipped from the water community coming from the Malkoç area, and now it’s linked to town water community. In the fountain within the courtyard reverse the doorway door of the mosque, the custom of distributing sherbet to be served to the congregation after the worship of the Ottomans first began with the sherbet flowing from the faucets of the mosque fountain right here.

There is a cemetery behind the mosque.

GAZİ TURHAN BEY MOSQUE AND TOMB:

It is within the village of Kırkkavak, eight km from the district middle.

Gazi Turhan Bey: Sultan II. It is among the most necessary commanders of the durations of Murat and Fatih Sultan Mehmet. Also Sultan II. He is Murat's son-in-law and Fatih Sultan Mehmet's brother-in-law. Its title was first encountered in 1423 because the commander of the cavalry in Mora. When his father Pasha Yiğit Bey died in 1413, he turned Skopje Sancakbeyi. He provides Mora to the Ottoman lands. He walked on Albania.

When Turhan Bey was defeated within the Derbendi conflict towards Hunyadi Janos in 1443, the state jail close to Tokat, who was well-known at the moment, was exiled to Bedouin Çardak. Turhan Bey, who spent about 10 years of his life right here, was forgiven by the victory of Varna and the desires of the Rumeli gents, and was once more delivered to the Akıncı principality of Mora. Himself: II. It confirmed nice advantages within the wars of Kosovo and Varna. It was efficient within the placement of Turkmen tribes within the conquered locations within the Balkans. Turhan Bey, who was seen in Edirne in 1455 along with his sons, is thought to have died at a complicated age, in all probability 70 years outdated in 1456 and was buried within the tomb constructed for him in Kırkkavak village. Because of the companies he supplied, Kırkkavak village was given to him as a basis, and he constructed a posh proper exterior the village.

Today, solely mosques and tombs stay from this complicated.

Mosque:

A big a part of its minaret, prime cowl, doorways and home windows have been destroyed and ruined to the current day. In the construction: correct chopping and tough minimize and rubble stone and brick are used. Again, bricks had been used within the minaret physique and arches. The constructing has a monumental look with a sq. plan and a dome coated with a single dome and the minaret positioned within the northwestern nook of it. Minaret: It is adjoining to the northwest nook of the mosque from exterior and is ruined to its base right now. The solely ornament of the work, which is sort of plain when it comes to ornament, is a rosette within the plaster altar and corners. The mosque, which doesn’t have any inscriptions on its building and repairs, has a basis that was organized in 1454 and written in 1455.

Tomb:

Gazi Turhan Bey was buried within the mausoleum constructed for him after his loss of life. However, as it’s understood from the images of the tomb, which has not reached the current day, exhibiting its strong state within the 1930s, it’s seen as 1-1.5 meters from the constructing and within the east of the mosque. The mausoleum, whose 4 partitions had been standing in 1960, however which has been severely broken, consists of a latest tombstone. When the images of the tomb, because it was initially made, are examined: solely the exterior look is evaluated, it isn’t recognized what sort of decorations are. There can also be no inscription for its building and repairs. Even extra painful info: the stones of the tomb had been dismantled by the Uzunköprü District Governor in 1930 and used for highway building.

As a end result: the tomb within the mosque and backyard is believed to have been destroyed, particularly in the course of the Russian occupation of 1877-1878.

The mosque and tomb, which had been in a really unhealthy situation till not too long ago, had been restored and opened to guests once more in 2008.

SAINT IOANNIS (Baptist YAHYA) CHURCH:

It is within the district of Muradiye within the district middle. Today, the constructing is on the sting of a busy highway, and its three different facades are surrounded by buildings with no historic characteristic.

The inscription of the church is on the western facade, on the arch of the primary entrance door, embedded within the wall, sq. form. According to the inscription: It was inbuilt 1875 within the title of John the Baptist. The inscription is sort of easy and has no ornament. Probably, there could also be a extra flamboyant inscription contained in the arch hole on the primary entrance door, however it’s doubtless that the neighborhood would have eliminated it because it was going from right here.

As a results of the mutual change, it’s said that greater than 17 thousand individuals had been baptized within the church till the Greeks left this place. When the Greeks left, they took all of the movable gadgets within the church, together with the bell of the church, to Greece with them. The bell belonging to the church is used right now within the Xanthi church. The church right here was deserted till 2011 and remained idle. Restoration works carried out by Uzunköprü Municipality had been accomplished between 2011 and 2013 and the church was reopened on 11 May 2013. The church serves as a Culture and Art Center right now.

Let us come to the architectural and structural options: the church: it exhibits a typical basilica plan with its narthex, naos and aspect naves and outward apse. In the development of the constructing: principally stone and restricted quantity of bricks had been used. Under the window within the apse, there are three rows of bricks. It is half domed. On the partitions of the central nave: 12 apostles, 6 on the fitting and 6 on the left, are depicted with particular person frescoes.

FIRST MUNICIPAL BUILDING:

The basis of the primary municipality constructing in Uzunköprü: It was laid in 1905 with the management of the district governor, Mazhar Müfit bey and Mayor İsmail efendi. The constructing was accomplished in the identical yr and Sultan II. It was opened on August 19, the anniversary of the day when Abdulhamit got here to the throne. There was a 2-storey wood constructing on the entrance of the district, a backyard surrounded by elegant iron railings, a clock tower with a lead dome and an alarm clock on this tower. The signal on the doorway balcony had the inscription "Umur-ı Belediye".

This outdated Town Hall: smaller than right now's Edirne Municipality constructing (proper subsequent to the Selimiye mosque), it’s a miniature of the constructing.

Yes, this city corridor served till 1953, and later it was determined to construct a brand new city corridor because it was not sufficient for the growing workers. Although it was proposed to make use of this primary metropolis corridor as a museum, it was not accepted, it was demolished to increase the Republic space and a brand new metropolis corridor was constructed as a substitute.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *